Do your coaching efforts stand out? Are your players at peak performance? If not, get regular tips and hints from this baseball field maintenance blog.
Click on that orange button to subscribe to my RSS feed. The field maintenance updates and tips below will help you enjoy a better baseball experience.
Proper baseball dirt maintenance for true, consistent bounces, and good footing
If you're looking for ideas and techniques for baseball dirt maintenance, then this is the page for you.
Continue reading "Proper baseball dirt maintenance for true, consistent bounces, and good footing "
11 Items For Your Spring Budget11 line items for the spring budget
This is a specific proposed budget for a Little League complex with two 46/60 grass fields, one 60/90 grass field, and one dirt infield softball field. Teams practice and play on these from February to July.
- 300 pounds of sports turf grass seed, 80/20 perennial rye / blue grass, used on the infields in Feb and May. $420.
- 350 pounds of fertilizer applied lightly Feb-June. $140.
- 20 yards of baseball dirt used to tune up some low spots on each field. $700.
- Gas for the mowers, edgers, and blowers. $250.
- Paint for white and orange bases. This is used occaisionally throughout the season and every day during tournaments. $180.
- Drying agents and soil conditioners. 50 lb bags of calcined clay. $150.
- Equipment rentals - sod cutter and de-thatcher. $150.
- 1000 sq ft of sod to fix some cutouts and worn areas. $370.
- 20 yards of topdressing and sand mix. $300.
- New broom drag. $200.
- Assorted: stringers, weed killer, spare sprinklers, edger blades, batter box markers, tie downs, base peg plugs, rubber mats, and eye/ear protection. $250.
In prior years there were also line items to cover the cost to repair / replace equipment, tools, bases, fencing, signage, draniage, and bulbs for the scoreboards.
Well, I hope this gives you something to think about.
You can take these ideas and tailor them to your specific situation.
This kind of planning that makes for a better baseball experience so your athletes reach their fullest potential. And that's what it's all about - the players.
p.s. Got budget line items, but need funding?
Check here for fund raising ideas.
Baseball Field Maintenance & Renovation for Youth, Collegiate, and Pros
Use this 'how to' baseball field maintenance guide to make your baseball field safer and more playable.
Continue reading " Baseball Field Maintenance & Renovation for Youth, Collegiate, and Pros"
FAQs: baseball field questions about ballpark maintenance
Ever have baseball field questions about field maintenance? Here are some that are frequently asked.
Continue reading "FAQs: baseball field questions about ballpark maintenance"
Baseball dirt: raising the level, adding conditioner, and other questions
Questions about adding baseball dirt, raising the level two inches, how to maintain, where to get training
Continue reading "Baseball dirt: raising the level, adding conditioner, and other questions"
Baseball field - getting ready for spring baseball
Baseball field advice for a high school about adding dirt and sod, and dealing with the freeze/thaw cycle
Continue reading "Baseball field - getting ready for spring baseball "
3 ways to renovate your baseball turf right now3 ways to renovate your turf
Over seed bare spots in baseball sod
How to over seed bare spots in baseball sod - one thing you must get right for great results
Continue reading "Over seed bare spots in baseball sod"
My field sucks. The City doesn't care. How can I get something done?
Overcome obstacles with your baseball field proejcts: 7 things you need to know to be successful.
Continue reading "My field sucks. The City doesn't care. How can I get something done?"
How to Evaluate Your Dirt / Turf Edgeevaluate dirt-turf edge
- Stand on the dirt-turf edge of your infield, for example, so you have part of your foot on the grass and part on the dirt.
- Is it flat? Or can you tell you are not level? Some ball fields have as much as a 3 inch drop at the edge.
- Ever see a player or coach trip as he walks across your edge? Then you know you have a problem.
- Stand at one of the corners. Look down the dirt-turf edge. Is it straight and neatly cut? Is the grass at the edge thin and worn out or is it nice and thick and full?
- Do you clearly see a hump even from the dugout or from the stands? If it is visible from far away then you definitely have a problem.
- Roll a ball across the edge. Does it hop up or roll smoothly across?
But more importantly do you know how to maintain a nice level edge? Do you know how to fix that lip and ledge you have on your baseball field?
How To Get The Winning Edge includes:
- The Importance of a flat grass edge
- Daily maintenance of the edge - how the pros do it
- The typical edging process that you can easily do
- Major and minor edge repair: hosing, trench and roll, new sod, mass aerate and roll, & a project to reclaim the dirt build up
- How to marking the edges
I invite you to come on in, see for yourself, and check out the other bonuses waiting for you.
The Complete Baseball Field Maintenance Handbook
All about nail drag and bolt drag for a baseball field
How the nail drag and bolt drag fit into your arsenal of baseball field maintenance tools
Continue reading "All about nail drag and bolt drag for a baseball field"
The best dirt mix for your baseball field
Good footing and good bounces with the right dirt mix
Continue reading "The best dirt mix for your baseball field"
Project for Little League basball field turf and lip removal
Need to fix lip build up on your little league field? Find out how we did it with our project
Continue reading "Project for Little League basball field turf and lip removal "
How to roll baseball field turf so it is level
How to roll baseball field turf to make it level and get rid of the lumps and bumps
Continue reading "How to roll baseball field turf so it is level"
Keep your batter box from turning into a deep hole
Two ways to keep your batter box from turning into a deep hole even if you can't tamp regularly
Continue reading "Keep your batter box from turning into a deep hole"
Baseball Field Maintenance Handbook
Baseball Field Maintenance Handbook: Secrets to Your Own Winning Baseball Field. Tips and Hints Made Easy!
Continue reading "Baseball Field Maintenance Handbook "
Hall of Fame All Star Special
Holiday Special on Baseball Field Maintenance Handbook
Continue reading "Hall of Fame All Star Special"
Why you should aerate after rolling your baseball turf
Rolling turf levels it, but compacts it. Find out why you need to aerate afterwards.
Continue reading "Why you should aerate after rolling your baseball turf"
Baseball fields gone bad - Don't Let This Happen to You!
Baseball fields gone bad - the problems, impact on players, and what you can do to fix it.
Continue reading "Baseball fields gone bad - Don't Let This Happen to You!"
FAQ: how to firm up and fix a brick dust baseball infield that is too loose
Fix and firm up and fix a brick dust infield that is too loose
Continue reading "FAQ: how to firm up and fix a brick dust baseball infield that is too loose"